Below are some of the online resources that I have used to educate myself about exercise, nutrition and competing.
More regularly, I share news articles and journal articles on my Facebook page.
Please keep in mind, recommendations to these resources doesn’t mean that they are the be all, end all. Science is continuously evolving and we are learning new things every day.
Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (ODPHP)
* page 116 of the PDF listed as 97, appendix 7 lists recommendations for nutrients, both macros and micros example daily fiber consumption is recommended at 14g per 1000 calories consumed
Food and Drug Administration as well as my post about them
United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Other helpful sites:
Books I recommend:
- Food: The Good Girl’s Drug – How to Stop Using Food to Control Your Feelings by Sunny Sea Gold
- 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do by Amy Morin
- Thrive by Arianna Huffington
- Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg
Phone Application Recommendations:
- MyFitnessPal for food tracking
- Seconds for timers
- BodySpace for workout tracking
MyFitnessPal Labeling Tip for Meals
To change your meal labels you must log on from your computer, then go to the Food tab and within the Food tab select Settings. You can change all 6 of the labels. Mine say Meal 1, Meal 2, Meal 3, Mini Meal 1,Mini Meal 2, Mini Meal 3 (because sometimes their smaller meals, not snacks).