I eat a lot of chicken. I mostly bake it, sometimes I pan fry it. I own a million spices and seasoning blends so it’s never boring to me. However, that doesn’t stop my boyfriend from asking if the “chicken is going to be exciting for dinner.” Well, yes dear the chicken will be exciting and I promise I won’t feed you sometime I wouldn’t want to eat myself. So because he asked again tonight how exciting the chicken would be tonight, I decided to make something a little different for us tonight – homemade chicken nuggets.
These are better than any store brand, frozen bag not just because the chicken is fresh and there’s less additives, but you get to play with flavors. To me, flavor is important. It makes food interesting and can really change the dynamic of a meal. So tonight’s flavor of choice was Kickin’ Chicken blend.
This recipe is broken down for 1 serving to keep it simple.
What You’ll Need
- 5 ounces of chicken
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Kickin’ Chicken blend by Weber (or other flavor blend of your choice)
- 1 egg *
- 2 tablespoons cold water*
*egg mixture is good for 2 servings
- In bowl combine all dry ingredients thoroughly
- In a separate bowl combine egg and water
- Using tenders or chicken breast, trim off any excess fat and cut meat into bite size pieces
- Add chicken to egg wash, then dip each piece into the dry mix until coated
- Place chicken pieces on a greased baking sheet, spray chicken lightly with cooking spray and bake for about 7-10 minutes at 350 degrees
These were also a winner with my boyfriend. When I started prepping them, he asked if they would be fried. I laughed and said “do I ever fry anything?” He replied, “well, no. Ha, well why did you ask then? For being baked, these little guys had a little crunch because of the cooking spray applied before they went into the oven.
Overall, it probably took my 15 minutes to get dinner together and it was a home cooked meal that I don’t feel guilty eating and since I know it was a hit with my guy, I may need to make them more often so he doesn’t feel consumed by chicken breast and “burrito bowls”.
I hope you enjoy making your own nuggets, with spices the possibilities are endless!
1 thought on “Recipe: Kickin’ chicken nuggets”
Love healthy redo’s! If you’re interested, I host a link up every Tuesday with an awesome group of bloggers. I’d love for you to participate! There’s more info on my main menu under ‘Tell em Tuesdays.’
Kim | http://peeledwellness.com